Sergeev and Sato will soon leave Quebec

Once absorbed the shock of the cancellation of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) season, the two international Remparts hockey players, Aleksei Sergeev and Yu Sato, will return to their countries in the coming days without any guarantees to come back next season.
For both players, the past year has been difficult for a multitude of reasons. In the case of Sergeev, it was first that he only played 34 games after being injured in the first part of the season. The 19-year-old Russian striker finished with 7 goals and 18 assists.

“After a season like this, I was obviously very sad about the cancellation because I was hoping to be able to play in the playoffs, which I haven’t been able to do in the past two seasons. I would have liked to play these games, “he said in a telephone interview with Le Soleil.

“I don’t know if I’ll be back next year. Patrick (Roy) did not tell me that I would come back or that I would not come back. I should have an idea in the next few weeks, ”he continues.

Complicated

He is aware that his status as an international player and a 20-year-old player will further complicate the situation. “I know it will be complicated because there is a limit of three 20-year-old players and two internationals and that does not help my cause. But if I do not play in Quebec, I will not stop my career so far, I will continue in Russia, “he explained.

The last time the Remparts fielded a 20-year-old international player was in 2005-2006, the year they won the Memorial Cup. The Slovak Michal Sersen was then with Alexander Radulov one of the two internationals on the team and with Mathieu Melançon and Cédrick Desjardins one of the three 20-year-old players of the Red Devils.

Sergeev is scheduled to fly to his country on April 10. “I hope there will be no problem. So far, I have not been told that my flight has been canceled, ”says the man who talks to his parents every day and inquires about the impact of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus crisis on him.

“From what my parents say, it seems to be like here. People are invited to stay at home, ”he continues.

Sato

As for Japanese Yu Sato, his adjustment difficulties have led him to only four goals and six assists in 39 games this year, being left behind more often than after the holiday break.

He will fly to Japan on Thursday. “There, the situation is improving with the coronavirus. There have been more cases, but it looks much better now, “he told the Sun.

The 17-year-old winger knows full well that he has not delivered the goods. “It was my first year in Canada, I didn’t have a good season even if I liked my experience. It was hard for me and hard for the team because I was unable to help, ”he continues.

“We did not have a meeting and I was not told if I was likely to return. Despite my bad season, it is certain that I would like to come back ”, he continues.

Championship

Rare ray of sunshine in a difficult season, Sato will have fond memories of the victory of the Japanese national team at the World Championship of less than 20 years, division II, during the Holidays.

“It was a great experience, we won and I made points”, concludes the one who also greatly improved his English skills, he who needed his teammate and friend Sergeev as an interpreter upon his arrival in Quebec .

Share
Previous Article
Next Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *